Creating volumetric clouds
Start a new file in MAX or VIZ,
1) Create a plane for your ground surface. (CREATE>GEOMETRY/PLANE)
2) Create a big sphere, apply a NORMAL modifier to the sphere (MODIFIER>NORMAL) and select invert. (this is to make sure the sphere is viewable from inside) This big sphere is going to be used as the Blue sky background.
3) Position the sphere halfway, meaning centerpoint should be around the ground plane)
4) Select the Sphere and go into EDIT MESH mode (MODIFIER>EDIT MESH) and click on the VERTICES button, select the half the vertices underneath the ground plane and press delete. (We are basically chopping off the underside of the sphere, cause we don't need it.
5) Select Sphere and apply a spherical UVmap to it. (MODIFIER>UVMAP>SPHERE)
6) Create a gradient map and apply it to the sphere.
we are going to create the Gizmo apparatus. Create about 15 box gizmo's,
all different sizes, different heights and different seeds. The seeds
makes sure they are different so we don't get identical volumetric clouds.
creating these we're going to add Volumetric fog to the gizmos, go to
RENDERING>ENVIRONMENT and under "ATMOSPHERE" click on "ADD" and add
a Volume Fog effect. Set the settings as I have there and select all the
boxgizmos from the GIZMO>PICK GIZMO(under VOLUME FOG PARAMETERS).
I always like creating two Volumetric Fog effects, and add different variations to different clouds. You can add more as you please.
for an extra nice horizon effect you can add a FOG effect to smooth the